Having an at-home date night this weekend? Create this sophisticated Bistecca Florentina dish for two in as quick as 45 minutes. And of course, the steak should have its perfect wine pairing to elevate the dish. Complete date night (and this meal) with three bottles of Italian red wine from the current Weekly Tasting: The Expressions of the Noble Sangiovese Grape!
Start planning a date to remember.
Here’s what you’ll need to cook the meal:
- 2 ½ to 3 lbs. porterhouse steak
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Arugula, for serving
And how to prepare it:
1. Brush steak with olive oil, season well with salt and pepper. Let sit, uncovered, at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
2. Wrap the rosemary, sage, and thyme with butchers twine at the root end. Place the steak on a hot grill or cast iron pan at 450° to 550°. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes on one side for rare, or add 2 to 3 more minutes for medium-rare. Add butter and flip the steak, basting it by dipping the herbs in the melted butter and brushing the steak with them. Cook the second side for the same amount of time as the first.
3. Place steak on a cutting board and rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve with a handful of peppery arugula.
And that’s it! Now, we’ll leave you to date night. Enjoy your Bistecca Florentina, and be sure to pair this dish with a red wine from Italy in the current tasting set, Three Expressions of the Noble Sangiovese Grape!