Comfort food just got taken to the next level. Pair this feel-good dish (that’s perfect for fall) with one of the crisp French wines from the current Weekly Tasting, Laurent Perrachon Winery! Prepare this meal for a small crowd, about 6-8 people, in anywhere from 1.5 hours to overnight. Get to cooking…and pour yourself a glass of French wine to reward yourself!
Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
- 6 pounds chicken thighs and legs
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Peanut, canola, or vegetable oil for frying
And how to make it:
- Add the chicken and buttermilk to a large bowl or container, cover with plastic, and refrigerate for 1 hr or up to overnight.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and toss in the flour until well coated. For an extra crispy crust, dip the coated chicken back into the buttermilk and toss again in the flour. Repeat with all of the chicken.
- Add 2 inches of oil to a large, deep-sided skillet. Place a candy thermometer into the oil and heat on medium-high to 350 degrees F. Fry a few pieces of chicken at a time, making sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- After about 10 minutes, turn and fry for another 10 minutes or until cooked through. Thighs may take slightly longer.
- Remove from oil and drain on a wire rack or paper towels. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and enjoy.
And now you know how to create finger-licking chicken right from your own kitchen…and better yet, you can enjoy a glass of French wine from the Laurent Perrachon Winery Tasting as you prepare it. Happy cooking!