This winter gives us plenty of time to try out some new recipes, starting with this must-have Hearty Lamb Ragu. It takes about 2 hours to complete with four people — but don’t worry, your time won’t be wasted. Not only do you get to match wine with this pasta dish as you try it, but you’ll get to use red wine in the actual recipe!
Pair this mouth-watering wintry dish with a red blend to bring out all the delicious flavors the meal has to offer.
Now, let’s get to cooking:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 pound lamb, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 lbs diced tomatoes
- 1 cup stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Sat & pepper
- 1 pound rigatoni
- Parmesan cheese for serving
- Cook pasta until al dente in salted water. In a cold pot, add oil and bacon, render bacon fat over low heat.
- Season lamb with salt and pepper. Add to the pot and brown well.
- Remove the meat once browned and add carrots, celery, onion, and bell pepper. Saute until onions are softened. Add tomatoes and ½ tsp of salt. Keep cooking and scrape the bottom of the pot to dissolve fond. Add stock, wine, and seared meat. Bring to a simmer. Add the bayleaf.
- Partially cover the pot with the lid and simmer for 2 hours or until lamb is fork tender.
- Serve with pasta and parmesan
And voila: a gorgeous, rich Italian meal to make any night at home feel like a restaurant experience. Don’t forget to stock up on red wine to bring out the best of this dish!