Sesame is an intriguing ingredient to pair wines with, but in the case of this Sesame Crusted Ahi Tuna dish, the sweet Meyer lemon and bright orange peel flavors of a Chardonnay is a perfect complement. The fresh and clean taste of the ahi tuna is an ideal match for the Bernardus 2017 375 ml from Monterey County, included in our upcoming Weekly Tasting Best of the West: Half Bottle Sampler Set. Stay tuned!
- ¼ cup black sesame seeds
- ½ cup white sesame seeds
- 4 6-oz ahi tuna steaks, 1″ thick
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp neutral oil (avocado, grapeseed)
- Limes, for serving
- Avocado, for serving
1. In a shallow dish, combine the sesame seeds and stir to mix.
2. Season the tuna with salt and pepper. Dredge each tuna steak in the sesame seeds, gently patting to evenly coat the tuna.
3. In a large non-stick pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Arrange the tuna steaks two at a time in the pan and cook until the white sesame seeds just start to turn golden, about 1 minute. Using tongs, carefully flip the tuna and cook for about 1 minute.
4. Transfer the tuna to a cutting board and cut into ¼” thick slices. Plate with avocado or lime wedges if desired. Serve immediately.
Serve this effortlessly delicious dish alongside a glass of wine from the Weekly Tasting Best of the West: Half Bottle Sampler Set for a perfect pairing. Available for a limited time only!