Sesame Crusted Ahi Tuna is a delicious and flavorful dish that pairs well with Sake rice wine because of its delicate and clean flavor profile that complements the fish’s mild flavor without overpowering it. This recipe combines the nutty flavor of sesame seeds with the rich, savory taste of Ahi Tuna, creating a mouth-watering dish that complements Sake’s delicate and complex flavors. Sake tasting notes can vary depending on the specific Sake, but some common characteristics include floral, fruity, and nutty aromas with a smooth and slightly sweet taste. Sake can also have notes of umami, which is a savory taste that pairs well with seafood. This dish’s combination of textures and flavors makes it an excellent choice to pair with Sake, providing a unique and satisfying culinary experience.
- ¼ cup black sesame seeds
- ½ cup white sesame seeds
- 4 6-oz ahi tuna steaks, 1″ thick
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp neutral oil (avocado, grapeseed)
- Limes, for serving
- Avocado, for serving
1. In a shallow dish, combine the sesame seeds and stir to mix.
2. Season the tuna with salt and pepper. Dredge each tuna steak in the sesame seeds, gently patting to evenly coat the tuna.
3. In a large non-stick pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Arrange the tuna steaks two at a time in the pan and cook until the white sesame seeds just start to turn golden, about 1 minute. Using tongs, carefully flip the tuna and cook for about 1 minute.
4. Transfer the tuna to a cutting board and cut into ¼” thick slices. Plate with avocado or lime wedges if desired. Serve immediately.
Serve this effortlessly delicious dish alongside a glass of Sake from the WTSO Premium Wine Club for a perfect wine pairing. Available for a limited time only!