We are once again joining our partner wine expert, Marc Supsic, for a WTSO Live Launching on Monday March 7, 2022, you can expect a brand new curated set, The Art of Blind Tasting with Sommify .
This recipe for sweet potato sausage casserole with mushrooms is too good to reserve just for breakfast. This is comfort food with a sophisticated twist. Read on for our suggestions for wine pairing sweet potato dishes.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp toasted fennel seed Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, sliced
- 16 oz porcini or baby bella mushrooms
- Parmesan cheese, shaved
- Fresh thyme, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Toss sweet potato, onion, and garlic in 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil with the spices, salt, and pepper. Spread onto a baking sheet in a single layer. Roast for about 10 minutes, and remove from the oven. Add the sausage to the baking sheet and bake in the oven for another 30-35 minutes.
- While the ingredients are baking, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, salt, and pepper and sauté for about 8-10 minutes, or until the mushroom juices reduce
- When sausage is thoroughly cooked, add all ingredients to the cast-iron skillet. Place back into the oven under the broiler for 3-5 minutes to slightly char the vegetables, watching closely not to burn. Top with shaved parmesan cheese and fresh thyme
Wine pairing sweet potato suggestions:
A bottle of wine that’s too dry or light won’t marry well with the flavors in this sweet potato sausage casserole. Choose a Chardonnay with plenty of acidity. Since this is a dish with sweet Italian sauce, a Tuscan Chianti would also be an outstanding partner. You’re sure to find some interesting possibilities among our Premium Wine Selection.