Is your wine cellar ready for the holidays? No matter how you celebrate the season, now is the perfect time to start preparing for all of the exciting gatherings that are coming up. After all, a good host always offers an excellent beverage to complement their cooking, and with the right bottle of wine, you’ll be welcome at any party.
So hold onto your corkscrew, because we’re taking you all the way from late November to early 2019!
Give Thanks For Family, Friends, and Easy Wine Shopping Online
Family, football, and food combine to create one of America’s favorite holidays. During Thanksgiving dinner, you can expect a generous spread for every course, so don’t be stingy with your wine selection.
You’ll find that turkey goes well with just about any wine (though you can never go wrong with Gewurztraminer!). Other traditional dishes can be a little trickier, though. Try these Thanksgiving pairings:
- Stuffing: A Bold, Easy-to-Drink Grenache
- Cranberry Sauce: A Juicy, Red Beaujolais
- Green Bean Casserole: A Fresh, Lemony Torrontés
- Pumpkin Pie: A Nutty, Spice-Filled Sherry
Wow Your Office Holiday Party
An office holiday party is a chance to let your hair down, get to know coworkers outside of the workplace, and celebrate the season. There are three golden rules for bringing wine to work events, however:
- Enjoy Responsibly. If there’s wine at a work event, it’s almost a guarantee that all of it will be gone by the end of the party. Make sure that you bring just the right amount for everyone to enjoy and stay safe throughout the night.
- Spend wisely. While you may want to splurge on the best wine, there’s nothing wrong with finding more affordable options. After all, you don’t want to bring your best top-shelf bottle if it’ll be gone in five minutes.
- Do keep it accessible. Even casual wine lovers have strong opinions on white vs. red, so sidestep the debate with a light, bubbly, sparkling wine.
With these rules in mind, what do we recommend? Bring something along the lines of a sparkling Brut Rosé. This delightfully crisp, blush wine features ripe fruit aromas and a light sweetness that will boost the mood at your office party.
What Pairs Well With Latkes And Other Hanukkah Favorites?
Hanukkah, the Jewish “festival of lights,” brings friends and family together for eight nights. That’s plenty of time to sit down for eight incredible dinners and polish off a few bottles of wine! Here are our favorite pairings for traditional Hanukkah dishes:
- Latkes and Sour Cream: An Unoaked, Vibrant Chardonnay
- Brisket: A Savory, Full-Bodied Malbec.
- Roast Chicken: A Fruity Sauvignon Blanc
- Sufganiyot: A Sweet and Nutty Fissata Red
Sit Down for Holiday Brunch
Cracking open a bottle of wine at 11 a.m.? Why not? A holiday brunch is a chance to relax with loved ones after a late night celebration or before an event to come. Mimosas are a traditional brunch beverage, but wine adds a little extra extravagance to your morning meal.
As always, your menu will affect your wine selection. Sweet dishes like pancakes or french toast call for the equally sweet Moscato D’Asti. A classic American breakfast with bacon and eggs, however, pairs perfectly with a medium-bodied, red Cabernet Franc.
Give Yourself the Gift of an Outstanding Christmas Dinner
Unlike Thanksgiving, every family’s Christmas dinner tends to have its own personal flair. Therefore, we suggest that you let your main course inspire your wine selection:
- Honey-Glazed Ham: A Dry, Lightly Fruity Zinfandel
- Prime Rib: A Dark, Bold Bordeaux
- Roast Goose: A Rich, Earthy Burgundy
Turkey: A Crisp, Refreshing Sauvignon Blanc
Does your family prefer to leave the oven untouched and pick up a few take-out menus on Christmas Day instead? Remember that Riesling pairs well with most Chinese takeout!
Ring In the New Year with a Bottle of Bubbly!
The New Year is a time of hope and celebration. The weather may be cold and sunlight scarce, but people everywhere gather to celebrate a fresh start, make a New Year’s resolution, and even enjoy a kiss as the clock strikes midnight. Of course, champagne is the usual choice for a New Year’s Eve bash. To mix things up (and help your party really shine!), also serve a less traditional sparkling wine like a Brut Cuvée.
Celebrate the Holidays with WTSO!
This holiday season, treat yourself to a shopping spree at the best online wine store, WTSO! Our flash wine sales allow you to taste the world’s finest vintages and varietals for low prices, and each bottle is delivered right to your door. Find the finest holiday wines, and stock up for the season online at WTSO!