This recipe is best paired with a Cabernet Sauvignon from Sonoma County, included in our upcoming Weekly Tasting.
- 8 slices bacon
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp mustard
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ lbs ground beef
- 4 hamburger rolls
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 large leaves of lettuce
- 4 slices beefsteak tomato
- ½ red onion, sliced thinly
- ½ cup dill pickle chips
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and place bacon down in strips. Bake until crisp, about 25 minutes. After bacon is done, reserve 2 tablespoons of
bacon fat and drain bacon strips on a towel-lined plate.
3. In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, and 1 teaspoon of black pepper in a medium bowl. Form ground beef into four 6-ounce patties.
Season both sides well with salt and pepper.
4. Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add reserved bacon fat to skillet. Once hot, add patties to skillet. Cook, pressing down to smash the burger and
form a crust on the patty.
5. Flip the burgers and press down again. Top with cheese and cover pan to melt cheese and continue cooking burgers to desired doneness.
6. Spread mayonnaise mixture on both sides of burger buns. Place lettuce on each bottom bun. Top with a burger patty, tomato, onion, bacon, and pickles.
Eager to try more California Cabernet wines and food pairings? Our new Weekly Tasting will be sure to please!