There are very few store-bought coleslaws that wow me and make me think, “I have to come back and get some more of this.” So, I developed my own. A little of this slaw pairs nicely with or on my Profoundly Poignant Pulled Pork sandwiches topped with my Ol’ Yeller Dawg.
- 1 red cabbage (about 2 pounds)
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds, crushed
- 2.5 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (FGBP)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley leaves or two tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 to 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1. Remove and discard the outer leaves and core of the cabbage. Then, rinse and shred the core leaves. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Shred the carrots into the same bowl.
2. Crush the celery seeds and mix with the other dry ingredients. Set aside.
3. Whisk the mayonnaise, mustard and apple cider vinegar together until a homogenous blend is achieved. Then, whisk in the mixture of dry ingredients.
4. Pour this mixture over the shredded cabbage and carrots. Toss to coat the cabbage and carrots, cover and refrigerate for at least one hour or until ready to serve.