As we celebrate our 15th year in business, WTSO is remixing many of 2021’s favorite Weekly Tasting sets. Join us in experiencing the same wines in a different perspective as they are served alongside new bottles. We’re also providing some new recipes with it, too, like this Hoisin-Glazed Eggplant and Red Blend wine pairing.
- 4 Japanese eggplants, cut lengthwise into steaks
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- Kosher salt
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 2 tbsp ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Cilantro, for serving
- Sesame seeds, for serving
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Score the eggplants without cutting all the way through the steak. Season lightly with oil and salt. Set aside to rest until grill is heated.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the hoisin, mirin, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, chili flakes, ginger, and garlic to make the sauce.
- Grill eggplant until they are golden brown and slightly charred, about 4-5 minutes. Brush them with glaze and flip. Grill the other side for about 3-4 more minutes, brushing with more glaze.
- Remove from grill and finish with remaining glaze. Garnish with cilantro and sesame seeds, if desired.
Don’t miss more fun remixes coming to Weekly Tasting soon!