As the evenings start to get cooler, it’s the perfect time to make warm, delicious soups for a night in. This Italian Wedding Soup recipe is quick, simple, and perfect to enjoy with a glass of your favorite Italian red wine.
- 8 oz lean ground beef
- 8 oz ground pork
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup parsley, minced
- 1 tsp oregano, minced
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 large egg
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dried acini di pepe pasta
- 6 oz frozen spinach, thawed
- In a large mixing bowl, add ground beef and pork and break up with your hands. Add in breadcrumbs, parsley, oregano, Parmesan, and egg. Generously season with salt and pepper. Shape mixture into small meatballs, about ¾” and transfer to a large plate.
- Over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pan. Cook the meatballs in batches, turning occasionally until browned on all sides.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, add 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery, and sauté until veggies have softened about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Pour in chicken broth, scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Season to taste. Bring mixture to a boil then lower heat to medium until soup is lightly
boiling. Add in spinach, pasta, and meatballs.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally until pasta is tender and meatballs have cooked through, about 10 minutes. Serve warm with additional Parmesan cheese if desired.