Inspired by one of our favorite food blogs, we’re putting a spin to Half Baked Harvest’s Sleepy Hollow Cocktail. Instead of the smoky flavors of Mezcal and bitters, we’re highlighting the delicious flavors of a juicy red blend wine. We chose Judge and Jury Sonoma Red Blend 2018 for its harmony and structure for a base of Zinfandel with additions of Petit Verdot, Petite Sirah, Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Malbec. A perfect blend for the spooky season!
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 orange, for peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Sugar, to rim glass
- 4 ounces red wine
- 1/4 cup pomegranate juice
- Sparkling water, optional for topping
- To make the honey syrup, in a small pot over medium heat, add water and honey until it reaches a steady simmer. Add orange peels and cinnamon stick, and simmer for 2-3 more minutes. Remove from the heat. Let cool. The syrup can be kept in a glass jar for up to 2 weeks.
- Pour sugar into a small bowl or dish. Dip the rim of the wine glass in water, then tip into the sugar.
- In a cocktail shaker, add ice. Add the wine, pomegranate juice, and 1-2 tablespoons of the honey syrup. Shake for 20-30 seconds, then strain into glasses. Top with sparkling water, if desired.
Additional Wine Recommendations
Calculated Risk Chalk Hill Proprietary Red 2019
Caymus-Suisun The Walking Fool Suisun Valley Red Blend 2020
Red Schooner Transit 2 Australia Red Blend by Wagner Family of Wine
Available for a limited time at WTSO.com, the premier online wine shop.