Chilly & rainy fall weather calls for a warm appetizer to pass around the table at dinnertime (and a room-temp glass of wine to keep all to yourself).
This restaurant-quality weekday dish for 4 will be ready to serve in just 45 minutes, giving you plenty of time to pour yourself a glass of red wine to pair with it. Break out a bottle of Nebbiolo to bring out the flavors in the lamb sausage & mushrooms — the selections from Barolo & Gattinara in the current Weekly Tasting, Understanding Nebbiolo, are the perfect match. Get it here before you start cooking!
Now, what we’ve been waiting for…
First, you’ll need these ingredients:
- 8 large white mushrooms (1 3/4 to 2 inches in diameter), stems removed and reserved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 c ground lamb sausage, browned
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup grated Pecorino cheese
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
Then, follow these steps:
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F.
2. Clean mushroom caps, remove stems, and brush with 2 tablespoons oil on baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper and arrange caps gill side up. Roast for 20 minutes. Then flip caps and roast until well browned, about 10 more minutes.
3. Pulse reserved mushroom stems, shallot, garlic, and ground pepper in food processor until finely chopped.
4. In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil and cook the the ground lamb sausage until browned. Add stem mixture and cook until moisture has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add wine and cook until nearly evaporated and mixture thickens slightly, about 1 minute.
5. Transfer mixture to bowl and let cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Stir in Percorino cheese, thyme, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Divide stuffing evenly among caps. Return caps to oven and bake until cheese melts, about 5 more minutes.
It’s so easy, you can make these Lamb Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms while balancing your everyday routine.