The inspiration of this recipe comes from the historial claims of Shiraz (or Syrah) originating from ancient Persia. With the rich chocolate and plum notes from this Kay Brothers varietal in our latest Weekly Tasting set, the wine pairs well with the aromatic spices of this dish. Get ready to be transported through the land and history of this pairing with each sip and bite.
- 1 lb ground lamb or beef
- ½ onion, grated
- 2 tsp shawarma seasoning
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp parsley, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/3 cup water or broth
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pre-made pizza crust
- Crumbled Feta cheese
- Cilantro, minced
- Mint leaves, minced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, or per the instructions of your pre-made pizza crust.
- On the stovetop, brown the ground meat in a pan over medium high heat. Once it starts to brown, add the grated onions, spices, parsley, and tomato paste. Once it’s cooked, add the broth or water. Turn off the heat and allow it to sit for a few minutes and absorb into the meat mixture.
- Dust surface with some of the flour, and if the dough is sticky, dust it directly with a little bit of flour. Use your hands and gently work from the middle out to shape the ball into a 10-inch round. Transfer to parchment paper on baking sheet.
- Spread the meat mixture onto the dough. Crumble feta on top and bake until golden per the crust instructions.
- Remove the flatbread from the oven and sprinkle cilantro and mint on top. Cut in pieces and serve.
Serve all this goodness alongside an Australian Shiraz from our Weekly Tasting set for a complete wine pairing culinary experience.