Watching the game this week? Create this must-have appetizer for kickoff in just 45 minutes. And of course, you’ll need some wine to wash it down with during halftime — pair this Mushroom Flatbread with red wine from Portugal in the new Weekly Tasting set, Divine Wines of the Douro!
Here are the required ingredients:
- 1 lb pizza dough, divided in half
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley leaves, for serving
And the directions:
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Ensure all ingredients are room temperature.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms in a single layer, cooking in batches if necessary. Season with salt and pepper, stirring once, until the mushrooms are browned all over, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
3. Dust surface with flour, and if the dough is sticky, dust it directly with a little bit of flour. Use your hands and gently work from the middle out to shape the ball into a 10-inch round. Transfer to parchment paper on baking sheet.
4. Brush the dough with 1 tablespoon olive oil, then spread half of the mushrooms onto the dough, leaving about 1/2″ for the crust. Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella. Carefully slide it onto the baking sheet.
5, Bake for about about 10 minutes or until the edges are golden-brown and crisp and the cheese is melted.
6. After baking, carefully transfer the flatbread to a clean cutting board. Save the parchment paper to make the second flatbread by repeating steps 3-5. Top the baked flatbreads with Parmesan and parsley, then slice and serve.
This flatbread is sure to be gone in minutes, so enjoy it while you can! Don’t forget to get a bottle from the new Portugal: Divine Wines of the Douro tasting to sip on a delicious red wine while munching on your new creation and watching the game. Cheers!