Get a true taste of Italy in the summertime with these Mussels in Tomato Sauce, which serve 4 people and take just 15 minutes.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp shallot, minced
- 1 oz prosciutto or bacon, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 cup canned San Marzano tomatoes
- 2 pounds mussels, cleaned
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Lemon wedges (for serving)
- 1 loaf of Italian bread (for serving)
And how you’ll create it:
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large pot over medium-high until butter melts and starts to foam, about 1 minute. Add shallot and prosciutto. Stir occasionally until shallot is translucent and prosciutto is crisp, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and a generous pinch of salt; bring to a simmer.
- Add mussels to sauce. Cover pot and cook until mussels start to open, 4 to 5 minutes. Discard any mussels that do not open, as they are not safe to eat.
- Divide into 4 bowls and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with lemon wedges and crusty Italian bread.
And now, you have a delicious meal that will make you feel like you’ve traveled through Italy no matter where you are. Don’t forget to get this week’s tasting, Italian Gems, to pair the mussels with a must-have bottle of classic red wine from Italy!