Enjoy this everyday recipe alongside a glass of lesser known Italian wine Ribolla Gialla, featured in our new Weekly Tasting, A Taste of Northeast Italy: White Wine Values Under $20, which includes two crisp white wines from Friuli. Coming soon!
Creamy cheese dishes like this are a huge part of Germanic culture and after all, Friuli has a huge Germanic influence. The sharpness of both wines from our Weekly Tasting will balance well with the rich cheesiness and since Ribolla Gialla has an herbal character, it will bring out the pesto. Buon appetito!
- 1 tomato, sliced thinly
- Kosher salt to taste
- 2 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 6 slices sourdough
- 4 tbsp pesto
- 6 oz mozzarella, sliced thick
1. Sprinkle salt on sliced tomatoes and let drain to avoid the sandwich getting soggy. Meanwhile, mix together softened butter and mayonnaise.
2. Spread pesto on a slide of bread. Pat a sliced tomato dry and layer on top of pesto. Add cheese and place second slice of bread on top
3. Spread the outside of each sandwich with the butter-mayonnaise mixture.
4. Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium high heat. Transfer your sandwich to the pan and cook, flipping once or twice, until the cheese is melted and both sides are browned.