Perfect for the end of summer, this Roasted Beet, Fennel, & Citrus salad will bring seasonal flavors that you won’t be able to get enough of. Put this elevated salad dish for 4 together in just 1 hour; and when you’re ready to eat, pair it with a red blend like one in our newest Weekly Tasting set, The American Way: Big Red Blends.
Here are the ingredients:
- 3 medium beets
- 1 medium orange
- 1 medium ruby red grapefruit
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp finely chopped shallot
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 bulb fennel, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups arugula or mixed greens
And the directions:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Scrub beets and wrap in foil.
- Bake until easily pierced with a fork or metal skewer, about 1 hour.
- Let cool, then peel the beets and discard stems. Slice the beets into half-moons.
- 2. Cut orange and grapefruit into segments over a bowl and reserve any juices. Remove the fruit from their membranes.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients: oil, vinegar, shallot, honey, and 2 tbsp of reserved citrus juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
- 4. In a large bowl, gently toss the greens, citrus segments, and fennel with dressing. Place beets on top and drizzle with additional dressing.
And before you know it, you’ll have a mouthwatering healthy meal to match with your favorite red blend. Don’t miss out on this recipe card or any of the wines in The American Way: Big Red Blends Weekly Tasting set, premiering August 17, 2020. Happy cooking!