Looking for a creative, simple dish that will dazzle dinner guests? Try this Italian Stuffed Eggplant recipe and pair it beside your favorite glass of Italian red wine.
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus for drizzling
- 2 large eggplants, halved lengthwise
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2 tsp fresh oregano
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp pine nuts, toasted
- ¼ cup Pecorino cheese, grated,
- plus for serving
- 2 tsp parsley, minced, plus for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Score the cut-side of the halved eggplants. Salt generously and set aside.
- In a large pan, warm 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Place eggplant cut-side down and cook for 3-4 minutes. Turn over and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside until cool to touch. Once cool, scoop out the pulp using a teaspoon and roughly chop. Set the eggplant skin “shells” aside in a baking dish.
- If needed, add a tablespoon or two of olive oil back to the pan. Then add the chopped eggplant and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, capers, oregano, and tomatoes. Cook for another 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and add to large mixing bowl.
- To the eggplant mixture, add Pecorino cheese, parsley, breadcrumbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Distribute the mixture into the eggplant “”shells.” Lightly drizzle olive oil over the stuffed eggplant.